Thursday, February 18, 2016

Observing Ms. Kelm and Dr. E

I had the great privilege of observing in Rachel Kelm's second grade classroom as a part of my AIM experience. She and Erika (aka Dr. E) worked on decoding the song "Follow the Drinking Gourd" as a part of (I'm guessing) African American History Month. I was impressed with how engaged the kids were as they determined the hidden meanings from the slave narrative. What struck me most was the warmth of the room, the comfort of the kids in their space, and the obvious love and respect between students and teachers. I was reminded of the charge we have as educators to allow students to find their own way, and to resist the urge to provide answers right away. The music was integral to the lesson, as the kids were  able to hear the song as it was sung so long ago. I learned a great deal watching this successful team in action and appreciate their willingness to allow me access to their room. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment